A day in the life of a family of five.


Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Perfect Summer Day

Drew has been wanting to have a lemon-aid stand for about a month now. He has made some signs at school and he and some of his friends had big plans for a front yard stand.

Today I read this post http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/05/almost-here.html
I am in love with Kelle Hanpton's blog!
She is an amazing photographer (inspired me to buy my camera and go for it!).
She is an amazing mom to two cute cute cute little girls.
Her writing is inspiring. It makes me what to live my life to the fullest and
"Enjoy the Small Things"
which I'm not always good at.
So when I read this post today, I made my list.

This Summer I will...
Learn "Frog Watching" with my son
Spend one on one time gardening and sitting on the porch with my middle daughter
Have cookies & milk with my oldest daughter when the little kids are in bed
Keep the weeds out of my garden
Take Jeep rides with the top off with my man
Have friends over for porch parties
Take the kids to the drive in movies
Go to the zoo
Camp
Take more walks with the kids
Blog more
Take more pictures
and
have lemon-aide stands


Blue skies and ice cold lemon-aide

Signs that Drew made at school.

Our first customers!

Cheers!!

Neighbors came by to have a refreshing drink.

They had drive up customers...

Friends came by too.
They sold fourteen glasses in about an hour.
I think that is a Dixon Lemon-aide stand record! I think it was the signs!

Summer is upon us. Next week is the last week of school and the kids will be free to enjoy their summer. I used to look forward to summers. The sun on my face, little brown babies kissed by the sun sliding their fresh skin into cool sheets... but it seems I dread summer more and more each year. I used to be a stay at home mom. When my husband lost his job 7 years ago I went back to work. I love my job, I really do, but I miss summers with my kids. I dread having to find a summer sitter. I dread working so hard just to pay the sitter. I feel so guilty for being at work all day when I could be home entertaining the kids. I feel like I miss so much. But after reading Kelle's post today... I decided that this summer I am going to focus on the time that I CAN spend with the kids. I'm going to make the most of the time that I do have with them. It's going to be a crazy summer. All three kids are playing ball...looks like we will have games five days a week. When I feel overwhelmed, I'm going to come back to this post and look at this list and remember to stop and take the time to "Enjoy the Small Things" in life.
And drink more lemon-aide.


What a beautiful ending to a beautiful day...

Do you have a summer list?

3 comments:

Micky1973 said...

Love your blog Kari! You write so well!

jb.djmom said...

Very nice Kari!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! You truly are an amazing person inside and out.